Our Employment Philosophy
Because the quality of Otonomy’s employees is the key to our success, we carefully select each new employee. We are committed to developing products that will benefit people’s lives and build value for our shareholders. As a team, we value honesty and integrity, knowledge, initiative and leadership, and a commitment to quality and improvement in everything we do. We want our decisions and actions to demonstrate these values. We treat one another with respect and take pride in the significant contributions that come from teamwork and the diversity of our organization. We strive for excellence and sound, responsible decision making. We know that Otonomy’s success depends on the performance of each member of our team.
When filling open positions, we will always strive to select the most qualified candidate and will not engage in unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, veteran or other protected status. Applicants who require a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for an open position are encouraged to contact Human Resources at 619-323-2200 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Notice to Search Firms/Third Party Recruitment Agencies (Recruiters)
Because the Human Resources team manages the recruitment process for Otonomy, to protect the interest of all parties involved, Otonomy will only accept resumes from a recruiter if an executed search agreement is in place at the start of the recruitment effort. Unsolicited resumes sent to Otonomy from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Otonomy and do not obligate Otonomy to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. Recruiters are requested not to contact or present candidates directly to our hiring managers or employees.
Associate Scientist, Formulations
Execute formulation development work to support new products, develop drug products to support clinical development programs.
- Understand and independently perform high-quality, hands-on experimental design of formulation development
- Review, compile and document data and results and compares them to acceptance criteria, SOP requirements, methodologies, product specifications, etc.
- Assist in the preparation of scientific reports,
- Develop and write experimental protocols
- Comply with SOP’s and cGMP practices in documentation and equipment operation
- Create formulated product for research, biological, and tox studies
- Prepare formulation and technology transfer reports, participate in process transfer to Manufacturing and other CMOs for fill-finish of drug product.
- Develop methods to support formulation and process activities and participate in setting detailed specifications as needed. Oversee detailed technical requirements, resource requirements, timelines and decision points in a manner consistent with the Company’s mission and priorities.
- Interact closely with counterparts in Research, Project Management and Finance, and participate in regular project and CMC review meetings to ensure effective communication and sharing of information.
- May perform other related duties as required and/or assigned, including providing advice and technical support to the broader Operations department.
Nature and Scope:
Interacts with various levels of personnel internally, and typically a similar level externally requiring the ability to clearly understand and communicate policies and procedures. Requires a solid working knowledge relevant to the applicable field. Job encounters problems of limited scope and moderate complexity with occasional variations from the norm. The incumbent receives instruction on new assignments and limited instruction on routine work. Errors in work could cause delays and financial loss.
BS degree in Analytical Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences or a related discipline, or an equivalent level of knowledge and experience.
- 5-8 years’ experience in formulation development
- Proven record of success preparing pre-clinical compounds, and performing stability and compatibility studies
- Excellent technical writing skills
- In-depth scientific knowledge and hands-on experience in formulation development
- Knowledge of GMPs and regulatory requirements as related to product development
- Experience in analytical method development and validation is highly desirable
Works in an office and laboratory environment. May on a continuous basis walk, bend and lift up to 20 lbs. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high. May intermittently sit at desk for a long period of time to answer telephone and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means. Must be flexible to work varying schedules and hours as needed. Occasional travel may be required. The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability
Apply for Associate Scientist using the link below: